My booksMy fictionMy filmsTwitter

Thursday, April 07, 2005

If I could tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn back time.

I was 12 or 13, and I was in my first year of highschool. The day, a tuesday *; the hour, midafternoon; the course, English.

The teacher of that course had a rather peculiar way of testing us - when it was your turn, you'd have to go up to the blackboard, and he'd say five words in Dutch. All you had to do was write down the English equivalents of those five words, and you'd score a 10 out of 10.

My turn. I went up to the blackboard, and wrote down word after word, until we got to the fourth word. The fourth word was 'nooit', which means 'never' - easy enough, I wrote down 'never', and we moved on to the final fifth word.

The fifth word was 'ooit', which means 'ever'. I know that now, just as I knew that then. However, considering this was the only thing seperating me from a 10 out of 10, I started thinking, and that's exactly the one thing you should not do.

I thought: "'nooit' is 'never', so 'ooit' can never be 'ever', it's just to obvious! Can't be!" Torn by doubt, and not wanting to look stupid, I ended up passing that one, scoring a meagre 8 out of 10.

I'm still bummed out about that one.

Cheers

* To be honest, it could've been any other weekday, because I really can't remember - why mention it, then? you ask. I don't know, quit the Spanish inquisition, will you?!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have lots of memories like that one. I did go through a spell of genius in my second year of elementary school though, when the teacher made me write "avond" and "wereld" on the blackboard and I got both right. Ha!

4:45 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Wow!

You actually knew both of 'em?! Respect!

Cheers

4:53 pm  
Blogger nique said...

well i was in a 5th grade spelling bee and in the first round I did exactly as you Martin, I stopped to think = DISASTER!

the word: handsome
my spelling: hansome


disqualified in the first round!

5:47 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Oh, the shame - unbearable! We're victims of an oversized brain.

Cheers

6:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have a problem with not wanting to look stupid, so whenever I doubt my answer, I'll leave it blank. Silly, I know, as it has cost me quite a few points already, but still... I have my pride. ;o)

And isn't it sad that I still use my second year story at my age? I should've done something equally impressive by now, but no.

7:14 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Well, at least you're not alone - Nique and I share your sadness.

Now, let's all cry together. No need to be ashamed.

Cheers

10:56 pm  
Blogger Silence said...

If you do cry together then I would say there is a reason to be ashamed.
Guess it's hard for people who are not perfect like me.

11:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i cry and i like it! martin, that is very manly of you to admit your ability to cry. those who have a small penis are incapable of crying...

12:39 am  
Blogger Martin said...

Take that, Hay!

Cheers

8:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home