My booksMy fictionMy filmsTwitter

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Taxi ride.

I am soaking wet when finally a taxi responds to my wild gesturing and pulls over. I fling open the door and jump inside to get away from the torrential rain and save my best suit more punishment. The taxi driver, who has a face like a plate of bad ham, looks at me in his mirror, hesitates a second, and asks me whereto. I tell him and he nods.
IndentHe hasn't been driving five minutes when he turns around, dangerously neglecting traffic in front of him, looks at me and says "You'll never guess who I had in my cab earlier?".
IndentHe is right, I won't. But I'll venture a guess.
Indent"Emperor Mao?"
IndentA blank stare from the taxi driver who is, incidentally, still looking at me as opposed to oncoming traffic. Seconds pass.
Indent"No, brother!" he finally says. Would have been an incredibly lucky guess anyway. "It was you!"
IndentMy turn to give him a blank stare. "What? Can't be. I was in a job interview just now."
Indent"No, brother, it was definitely you. We had this same conversation. It's just a tiny ripple in the space-time continuum, happens all the time. Ha! If I had a quid for every temporal hiccup I've seen in my day, I'd be one rich cabby, I tell ya!"

Go figure.

2 Comments:

Blogger ell said...

His brain is short-circuiting, deluding him into thinking it's a space-time thing when it's only deja-vu on a repeating slow loop.

Say, this could be the premise of a sci-fi movie. :)

6:19 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Made for tv, on the Sci-Fi channel, perhaps.

8:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home