My booksMy fictionMy filmsTwitter

Friday, January 02, 2009

Happy new year.

I'm getting a divorce.

2008 already wasn't the best of years and I am fairly certain 2009 won't improve much. The only thing I can be sure of is that it will be different. Mighty different.

But that's life, I suppose. Usually there's a left and a right, a back and a forth, a good and a bad. Usually there's a choice. But not always. Every now and again you reach that point where there is no real choice left and the only thing you can do is close your eyes, bite your lip, and move on.

She'll no longer be my wife but she'll always be my best friend. Small mercies and all that.

As for the obligatory melodrama, here's an appropriate lyric:

IndentThe little cracks they escalated,
IndentAnd before you know it is too late.

So it goes.

9 Comments:

Blogger Pep said...

Sorry to hear about your loss, bud.
Better things for 2009 come, I'm sure.

4:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new year dude.
And you know, when a star explodes, its shockwave is the beginning for bigger and better stars. Just to say that an ending can be a beginning of a better time too.

6:19 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Pep - long time no see, mate. Thanks for the comment. Here's to hoping you're right.

Bob - well said. Dank je wel. But hear this, if this star business turns out not to be true, I know where you live.

7:00 pm  
Blogger The Snakehead said...

Is it because you're green?

10:22 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

It's the lack of arms she just can't deal with. She's dating an arms dealer, now.

Go figure.

10:24 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am not going to lie, I used one of your stories as the body of the last email and communication I sent a girl that I dated for 5 years after she broke it off.

I feel your pain, yet I feel I am much younger then you, nevertheless, in the same boat.

3:40 am  
Blogger Martin said...

Don't worry about it. Can I ask which story?

11:04 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

It was the craziest thing. I was searching for lyrics of an all german song on google, and somehow it linked me to your site, not sure what page. It was to one of the recollections and I eneded up reading each entry but overall loving all the recollections you wrote. The one I put in the email, seems pretty obvious probably is this one:

http://thewetnoodle.blogspot.com/2008/12/recollections.html

It seemed fitting for an end.

1:56 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Makes sense since I wrote it as a mash-up of an actual experience (getting lost in the woods searching for a sunset) and a goodbye to my wife.

Glad to hear you liked it/them.

4:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home