My booksMy fictionMy filmsTwitter

Friday, December 05, 2008

God smirks.

Smileys. Love 'em or hate 'em.

Those Pacman-ish (waka waka waka) little things have deviously infiltrated their ways into every single nook and cranny of the internet to such a degree that you cannot open a single e-mail or social networing website without being bombarded with these grinning/waving/crying/etc. yellow dots. In fact, the spectrum of available smileys has grown so much over the past decade or so that in this past week alone I have witnessed colleagues a) using a smiley to emphasise and refine an earlier smiley and b) googling a smiley because its implied denotation was not immediately clear.

My opinion on smileys is as follows (and I know I am running the risk of coming across as a cantankerous old man, but to that I say 'Bah, humbug!'):

Humankind has already invented a series of symbols with which we can express our feelings, emotions and opinions. They are called letters, combinations of which form words, and they, in turn, can be combined to form sentences. You should try it, it's surprisingly more effective than a barfing smiley.

But then this:

God smirksWhen even the universe itself, in all its intricate beauty and splendor, aligns to reveal to us a majestic smiley of cosmic proportions, its twinkling eyes Mars and Jupiter, its shining smile the waxing crescent moon, then yes..

..even I will concede defeat.

But I still won't use them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pearce said...

(C:

12:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home