My booksMy fictionMy filmsTwitter

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Don't panic?

I am troubled.

Eoin Colfer, mostly known for his Harry Potter-esque Artemis Fowl series, has pestered Jane Belson, widow of Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy author Douglas Adams, to the point of cracking, and in what must've been a moment of weakness, Mrs. Belson supposedly gave him the a-okay on extending Douglas Adams' legendary 'trilogy in five parts' to six parts. And Another Thing... will be published next year.

God help us.

If memory serves me, Mostly Harmless, the final installment of the original series, ended on the high note of every possible Earth in every possible alternate reality being blown up, which, one would assume, is rather definitive. Eoin, and only Eoin, disagrees. Regardless of Mr. Colfer's literary qualifications and ambitions, how could this be anything other than a crayon rendition of a Monet?

A couple of notes:

- The simplicity of this protest warms my heart.
- My first though upon hearing of this was not 'What!? No one should be doing this!' - it was 'What?! Jasper Fforde should be doing this!'. I hate myself for it.
- This is, of course, heresy. And the worst? I'll probably read it anyway, on the off chance that he actually pulls it off.
- Scariest bit of the entire TimesOnline article:
The author of the Artemis Fowl novels is to write the first posthumous installment to the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series.
The first?! There's gonna be more? My head hurts.

Marvin always tried to tell us that it will all end in tears. Go figure.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pearce said...

Adams was a unique thinker. This is going to be some lame shit.

8:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home