My booksMy fictionMy filmsTwitter

Monday, August 18, 2008

Michael Phelps is a superhuman.

I'm just saying.

And it is not even the races he wins by a big fat margin that are the most impressive. It's the lousy start, the bad turn, trailing by a good half a second 50 meters into the race and still miraculously tapping in 1/100th of a second before his Serbian opponent Cavic to grab the gold medal (his seventh of the eight he grabbed these games) in the 100m butterfly men.

I'm not a big swimming fan, but I recognise greatness when I see it. And this finish, as seen below, was nothing if not exciting. You can see Cavic (bottom) already reaching out for the finish line under water and Phelps swinging those huge arms of his around, to tap in just before Cavic. The smallest margin ever between a gold and silver medal.



Superhuman.

(On a side note: either I'm doing it wrong, or it's surprisingly difficult to turn a 10 second .avi clip into a decent .gif image.)

Update:

Michael Phelps is a superhuman. Or is he?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he is:

1 Comments:

Blogger murphyz said...

The finish defies convention...but is amazing!

5:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home