My booksMy fictionMy filmsTwitter

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Jonathan Safran Foer.

  • Author of Everything Is Illuminated.
    • Appeared on the international Best Books of 2002-list.
    • Jonathan Safran Foer
    • Won The National Jewish Book Award.
    • Won The Guardian First Book Award.
    • Has been published in 24 countries.
    • Film adaptation set for release in august 2005.
  • Author of Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.
    • Published only three months ago.
    • Already optioned for release in ten other countries.
    • Already optioned for a film by Warner Bros.
  • One of Rolling Stone's 'People of the Year'.

  • Esquire Magazine's 'Best and Brightest'.

  • Only three fucking years older than I am!
This guy already blew me away with his debut novel, Everything Is Illuminated, but his follow up is, if at all possible, even better than his first. Extremely Loud & Incredibly CloseExtremely Loud & Incredibly Close is such an emotionally powerful book, you'll find yourself swallowing and closing the book for a break more often than not.

The book deals with 9/11, its central event (though only alluded to), the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, and the firebombing of Dresden - but besides these historical events that are still fresh in the minds of the reader, Foer deals with basic, essential emotions such as love, loss, fear and anger.

What makes Foer so special is that he treats his books as a canvas, and not just as paper on which you can write - there are photographs, all relevant to the story, sprinkled throughout the books, and there's also all kinds of strange typography. All of these elements enhance the story, make it more powerful.

This is more than a book telling a story, this is an experience. An experience that ends with what is unquestionably the most heartbreaking and beautiful flip book in all of literature.

After reading Cryptonomicon, my current favourite book, last year, I didn't think anything could ever top that. I'm not sure yet, but I think Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close has managed it.

Cheers

11 Comments:

Blogger The Snakehead said...

Err... who?

8:28 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Gee, and illiterate, too. You're such a catch.

Cheers

9:11 pm  
Blogger Darrell said...

This book got a terrible review in National Review... they implied that it was kinda directionless. Your take on it peaks my interest, though.

10:36 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Well, I do think it's a love it or hate it kinda book, as was his first novel. As you have noticed, I'm very much in the former category.

Do give it a try.

Cheers

11:39 pm  
Blogger The Snakehead said...

I know. Tell me about it. Guys, girls, men, women, animals, hermaphrodites flock to me like moths flock to flame.

11:53 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

That's what illiteracy does to a person.

That, and smelling of poo.

Cheers

12:07 am  
Blogger The Snakehead said...

Look who's talking.

The little green man that type with his tongue should not throw stones.

I'm just saying.

12:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given that I loved Cryptonomicon, and that I first found your site because of your review of Illuminatus!, I should probably follow this recommendation.

12:24 am  
Blogger Martin said...

Be warned, Pearce, it is nothing (absolutely nothing) like the two titles you mention.

Cheers

1:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I'd guessed, but I figured I was two for two on book recommendations so I'm gonna give it a try. :-)

2:12 am  
Blogger Martin said...

I got many many more, my friend.

Cheers

2:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home