My booksMy fictionMy filmsTwitter

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Film review: Garden State.

I'd been hearing so many good things about this little film, that I decided to pick it up, today. It finished an hour ago, and here I am, writing this review.

Garden State

I'd been seeing the name Zach Braff left and right, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the big deal was; why was everybody so damn enthousiastic about this kid from Scrubs? Then I saw this little flick, and despite Braff doing a great job, I still wasn't convinced about his alegged genius. Until the credits started rolling, revealing to me a fact that had eluded me up until then; the kid wrote and directed the film, too. Ok, I'm officially impressed.

Short summary, for those of you unlucky enough not to have seen it yet: Andrew Largeman is a heavily medicated young man; a struggling actor, living in Los Angeles, whose only claim to fame is a role as a retarded quarterback in a bad TV movie. He lives his life in his medicated haze, far removed from his family and friends whom he rarely talks to. But all that changes when he receives the call that his mother has passed away and he must return to pay his respects for a few days.

Garden State

The film is simply beautiful; Zach Braff created for us a stylish and aesthetically very pleasing film. There are so many memorable shots, such as Largeman sitting alone on the couch, drugged out, while his friends play 'spin the bottle'; such as the shots at the pool, with their magnificent lighting; such as Natalie Portman's Sam tap-dancing in front of the fireplace; and best of all, the shot at the end of the film, where the camera fast-zooms out away from the ark, over the gorge. In short - visually, this film is everything a film should be.

What Braff does so well in this film is that it abandons the traditional narrative arc, and becomes more like a succession of bizarre encounters with people he vaguely remembers from a previous life; it almost feels like a genuine trip home. Braff perfectly captures that awkwardness of returning home after a long period, and the uncomfortability of seeing old friends who haven't nearly changed as much as you think, or hope, you have.

Garden State

And it is in this juxtaposition between hopes and reality where the comedy lies. This was one of the funniest films I've seen in a long, long time; I would take this over any gross-out comedy that's ever been released, simply because the jokes in Garden State are subtle, and they are funny because they very well could be real, and are not forced on you.

The casting is top notch, too, especially regarding the central couple; the pivotal relationship of the film forms between Braff's Andrew and Portman's Samantha. It is easily one of the most charming and heartfelt romances you'll ever have the pleasure of seeing on the silver screen; together, they share some of the funniest moments and some of the most romantic scenes in recent memory. This couple just feels right together, and that's mainly due to Braff's and Portman's excellent performances. There are also a number of nice turns from the supporting actors, most notably from Ian Holm as the dad slash psychiatrist and Peter Sarsgaard als the long lost stoner friend with a heart of gold, Mark.

Garden State

Something that also struck a chord with me was the sublime soundtrack. Songs from the likes of Coldplay, The Shins and Frou Frou are an integral part of the movie and set the moods from scene to scene. The tracks were so well picked, they matched the film so impeccably, that it almost seemed as if the soundtrack was an extra character, and not just a soundtrack. I haven't seen a soundtrack fit a film so exquisitely since Donnie Darko.

All in all, Garden State can be perfectly summed up by just one short piece of dialogue from the film:
'This is your one opportunity to do something that no one has ever done before and that no one will copy throughout human existence. And if nothing else, you will be remembered as the one guy who ever did this. This one thing.'
Zach Braff did just that.

An 86 out of 100.

Cheers

11 Comments:

Blogger The Snakehead said...

This movie is awesome. I agree with your 8/10 rating.

I also totally agree with you on the soundtrack. I "bought" the soundtrack right after seeing that movie. All the songs are awesome.

I guess today is a big day. Two idiots finally agree on something.

2:01 am  
Blogger Martin said...

I guess the four horsemen will be arriving soon, then. We'd better prepare.

Do you think they'll prefer coffee or tea?

Cheers

2:09 am  
Blogger Martin said...

I never saw Scrubs, which is something I'm kinda regretting now - did he write that, too?

Thanks for the linkage.

Cheers

1:13 pm  
Blogger Tim said...

Good review, good movie.

6:51 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Thank you, and yes.

Cheers

6:55 pm  
Blogger TheatreChick73 said...

Thank you so much for the great review! I have been meaning to see this film but no one could ever tell me anything about it other than the guy from Scrubs wrote it and they loved it. When I asked them what its about, all I got was "He goes home to New Jersey." Makes me run right out to rent it! LOL

Thanks for explaining it far better than most. I know what I am watching this weekend :)

7:15 pm  
Blogger The Snakehead said...

Coffee or tea? Are you kidding me? Horsemen don't drink coffee or tea, you dumbass!

Break out the shaker. They'll have Cosmopolitan.

8:13 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

TheatreChick - Glad I could be of assistence. Go rent it this weekend, you'll love it.

Snake - Fuck, I don't own a shaker - we're doomed.

Wendy - High hopes can do that to a person, yes. But each to their own, right? Glad you did enjoy the soundtrack, though, it's phenomenal.

Cheers

12:13 am  
Blogger The Snakehead said...

You know what else has great soundtrack?

Closer.

Damien Rice R-O-C-K-S!

12:45 am  
Blogger Martin said...

Closer - the one film I flat-out refused to go see. Sentimental hogwash, in spite of mr. Law and miss Portman (near naked).

Cheers

12:50 am  
Blogger The Snakehead said...

See it when you're high. You'll feel differently.

4:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home