My booksMy fictionMy filmsTwitter

Friday, September 16, 2005

Cyberviolence.

For some reason, I had a flashback today, back to my childhood. I distinctly remember one of my friends, who'd just bought a brand spankin' new PC (this was back in the early nineties, so we're talking a Commodore or an Amiga here) telling me that if you type the word 'RIP' on the screen in any way, the monitor would blow up.

And I believed him, too.

That little anecdote got me thinking about the language of computers (by this I don't mean HTML, I mean 'computer language' in its broadest sense). And you know what? There’s a hell of a lot of violence in there. Hear me out.

When you're on the computer you're constantly ripping this and burning that; computer-literate people are called hackers; while working in word you frequently cut something; every URL starts with two slashes in front of the actual address; A major malfunction is a crash; when you're typing, you're hitting the keys.

Why is this? Is this some hidden form of overcompensation? Do computer users and especially the designers use these dramatic words to describe their craft in order to compensate for the sedentary and boring nature of their field of expertise? Or do I just think too fucking much?

Whatever the answer is, we will most likely never know - what I do know, after taking a long and hard look at my keyboard and the layout of the keys, is this:
  • You can have sex with one hand, but you'll need two for love.
  • You can kill with one hand but you'll need both hands to heal.
  • You act with one hand, but thinking takes slightly more effort.
  • Fear can be instilled with one hand, but bringing hope takes two.
  • You serve with one hand, you lead with two.
  • You are obviously one-handed, but you know me, fully ambidextruous.
  • And you always, always, masturbate with two hands!
Fuck, I really do think too much!

Cheers

4 Comments:

Blogger The Snakehead said...

How do you masturbate with 2 hands?

4:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't lift it with only one hand.

6:00 am  
Blogger The Snakehead said...

Take those piercings off then!

7:49 am  
Blogger Pep said...

Mmmmm, cyber-violence.
No wonder I became a computer programmer.

:)

12:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home