My booksMy fictionMy filmsTwitter

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

To all you Yanks.

I caught a snippet of Oprah on the telly last night (what?! It was past midnight and I was bored, okay?!). It was the show with that Fat Actress, Kirstie Alley (or, rather, a show with her, as I gather there are several).

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, when the hell did Oprah Winfrey become this kind of demigod? I mean, she walked on stage, and instantly there was this tidalwave of sound and emotion; screaming, clapping, laughing, hell, I even saw three people break out in tears. Because she walked onto stage!? What the hell is that all about.

So, after what felt like 15 minutes of applausse, the audience settled down, and piece returned to the Noodle residence. Until Miss Winfrey uttered a syllable, that is. Back to square one in an instant. Yelling, applauding, crying, sacrificing babies, and rolling over eachother in pure, unadultarated, emotional mayhem.

At that point I threw my remote at the TV, missed, got up to retrieve it, and flipped the channel. A sigh of relief, as you can imagine.

So, to all the Yanks out there - doesn't this scare you in the slightest? This deification of a talkshow host? Because it scares the living crap out of me.

Cheers

3 Comments:

Blogger Rades said...

You have to take into consideration that the audience members know that Oprah will soon be bestowing upon them a new digital camera, plasma TV, yacht, or other such nonsense.

Maybe it's part of the agreement they sign when they get accepted as audience members: "Agree to scream like a maniac and treat Oprah like Elvis, and you will be rewarded with riches that will outdo your last five Christmases combined. Also, you're not allowed to shoot Dr. Phil."

8:27 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Right, the gifts. Don't even get me started on the gifts.

Making the audience sign a contract? Oprah's not above it! Not at all.

Cheers

8:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care whether she's deified or not. It happens to all celebrities. It's no different than people who wait outside of a show for hours hoping to catch a glimpse of their favorite rockstar.

But she's definitely a powerful woman, and I think she's very respectable, though I don't like her show. She's probably one of the richest women in the world, which speaks volumes about her business mind. It's commendable. She's also black, and despite the fact that everyone thinks racism doesn't exist, she's overcome adversity as a black woman in Hollywood. A lot of women respect her. And why not? We all have our heroes.

10:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home