My booksMy fictionMy filmsTwitter

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Top five - favourite films.

You didn't think I'd completely leave, did you?

At a forum I frequent someone started the archetypical film-related thread - post your top five favourite films. Now, I go to many forums, and actually post on quite a few, so this question had been asked rather frequently, and normally I'd just spit out titles which I know I really liked. But this time I decided to give it some thought, to motivate my choices, and to write a blog-entry about it.

You're reading it.

□ □ □ □ □ □

5. Lost In Translation

Coming completely out of left field, this tiny little character-based film, written and directed by Francis Ford's daughter Sofia Coppola, turned out to be the best film of 2003 and the number five (and rising) on my little list here. Filmed with extreme deliberation by Coppolla, we get a real insight into human relationships and communication. The setting of Tokyo provides the film with jaw-dropping visuals and makes for easy viewing. This is a portrait of two complicated characters, played by a marvellous Bill Murray and a fantastic Scarlett Johansson, whose lives tend to veer towards depressing. The film, however, is everything but depressing - Coppolla does not allow that to happen because with the right injection of humour and wondrous cinematography you remain light-hearted about the whole experience.

4. Léon

Known in the U.S. as The Professional. The beauty of this film, evident from the very start, is the way in which it is filmed. Given a rugged feel and a very dark look, Léon follows a lot of film techniques in it's filming and makes us feel closer to the characters in this harsh reality. But, as is the case with many films in this list, it's the heartwarming story that does it for me - hitman Léon takes in a twelve year old girl, whose family have been brutally murdered by a crooked cop. With Besson's majestic plot and directing, Léon was always going to be a good film. Add to this, some brilliant performances by Portman, Reno and Oldman, and it is no wonder that this film is referred to as a classic. Léon is by far and away the greatest hitman movie of all time, and a reminder that sometimes the French can be the best at things.


3. Fight Club

I was clueless going into that movie theatre back in 1999 - some supposedly independnt flick (though starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton; so much for independence) about men taking out their aggression and frustrations by beating eachother up in murky joints. I still believe I did not blink nor breathe for the full two hours. I'd been a fan of Brad Pitt since Se7en; Edward Norton had been a favourite of mine ever since his brilliant debut in Primal Fear; David Fincher hadn't done anything wrong, period. But it's the story, written by one of my favourite authors, Chuck Palahniuk, that cliches this third position in my list. It is funny at the same time as being cynical, it is religious at the same time as being political, it is revolutionary at the same time as employing age-old philosophy - A truly beautiful mix of Intellectualism, Brutality and Nihilism.

2. Donnie Darko

A little indie flick, written and directed by newcomer Richard Kelly, and starring that other newcomer Jake Gyllenhaal, who plays a messed up kid who hallucinates about a giant bunny who's predicting the end of the world. Can't be good, can it? Well, you're wrong, because it is. Very good, indeed. Richard Kelly's utterly promising debut is one of the best things that could happen to post 2000 cinema - it's a project that breathes its own personal atmosphere and the creativity nearly drips from the screen. From the opening shot of Donnie waking up in the middle of the road to the closing credits supported by Gary Jules' fantastic remake of Duran Duran's Mad World, this is cinema magic.

1. The Shawshank Redemption

I cought the back end of this film on a dreary night quite some years ago, and boredom lead me to watch the closing hour of this film I had never heard of. I was completely blown away, even without the opening hour and a half. I went out to the videostore the very next day to rent it, so that I could watch it completely. I've watched it at least ten times, since. Everything about this film is exactly right. The direction, the cinematography, the casting, the acting, but above all the story, courtesy of Stephen King; a great story, told flawlessly, with a powerful message. There is not a lot more that you could ask for in a movie. Entertaining and inspiring. Deep, yet not complicated. A message delivered with undeniable power, and an excellent movie experience overall.

□ □ □ □ □ □

I might turn this into a top ten, once. Just not now.

Cheers

12 Comments:

Blogger nique said...

First to answer your question: Yes.

Your taste in movies will never cease to amaze me. I've not seen Leon aka "the professional" but I agree Fight Club and Shawshank (I would definitely say Shawshank is one of my most favorite movies...outstanding in every way) are awesome!
How you can appreciate these movies yet still be a fan of Lost in Translation???? I'll never know. ; ) That is funny stuff...you know, funny "ha ha"

10:03 pm  
Blogger Pep said...

I've not seen Lost In Translation, but if you recommend it, then it should be good.
The others? Oh yes.
I remember that Shawshank did crap at the cinema. WTF!?

Of course I have to add The Passion of The Christ to my personal list.
Oh, and of course Carry on Up The Khyber!

:)

11:00 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Dominique: *sigh*

Pep: Go see 'Lost In Translation'. Yep, 'Shawshank' tanked at the boxoffice, and it got snubbed for an oscar by (hold your hat) 'Forrest Gump'. 'Forrest Gump'! Mind, this was the year that cinematic gems such as 'Leon', 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Shawshank' were released.

But then again, the Acadamy hardly ever gets it right.

Both of you: Go see 'Leon', but make sure it is actually called Leon, and not 'The Professional', because the latter is a heavily edited version of the former. Not nearly as good.

As you may have noticed, I love movies. :0)

Cheers

12:01 am  
Blogger cedia said...

Love The Professional! Have seen Shawshank Redemption but not the rest.

1:28 am  
Blogger Pep said...

I have actually seen Leon, just forgot to say.
I loved the way the film transformed the relationship and view of Reno.

The ending scenes with the actors were stunning, IMO.

10:52 am  
Blogger Kalthia said...

UGH... Lost in Translation, Did NOT get that movie. Hated it, every minute. And I am not one that really hates movies at all.... I mean, I can get into almost anything!

The others, I can understand, somewhat.. that one.. ugh!

12:37 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

You.

Are.

Mad.

Cheers

5:15 pm  
Blogger nique said...

Kalthia, I'm so very glad you commented. SO VERY GLAD! For me, lost in translation was what I can only describe as 2 hours of my life I cannot get back. I would be more descriptive of the agony endured while watching this movie...but I'm not a hater esp. on Martin's blog which is so pro "lost in translation" it hurts, oh it hurts.
Martin, I'm so happy you have a diverse selection of readers. If I were the only one to disagree on this movie review, I'd be all by myself...i don't want to be... all by myself... ;)

3:12 pm  
Blogger Xaiver said...

Watched and loved ShawShank Redemption.

It is a marvellous movie with great story telling. It is emotionally gripping with the death of the paroled prisoner (what's his name?), Reds overcoming his suicidal tendencies and found new freedom and our main character with his achievements and final escape.

Watched it many times and owned the VCD.
A great movie which I will recommend to anyone!

10:07 am  
Blogger Miss Behaving [badly] said...

Found your blog thru Rene and I love it, I needed a movie site to add to my links, I know it is much more, but I also love your passions regarding film.
Have you seen the donny darko remake?

http://heroinegirl.blogspot.com/

That is where I live, feel free to visit moi !

3:07 am  
Blogger Martin said...

Hi, welcome, and thanks for the compliments. Though, I have no idea who Rene is. Yup, I'm an inconsiderate bastard.

Anyway, a Donnie Darko remake? I assume you're refering to the Donnie Darko director's cut, which has recently been released? I haven't seen it, but that's only because I read in several film-magazines that the original cut is better - the director's cut allegedly takes sidesteps during the film to explain the inexplicable bits, and by doing that it loses a lot of its magic.

I'm sticking to the original cut.

Cheers

3:15 am  
Blogger Martin said...

Good man!

Cheers

3:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home