My booksMy fictionMy filmsTwitter

Monday, October 12, 2009

Tim Minchin.

Sure, he's got the weird eyes and the 'look at me, I'm an artiste' funny hair. And sure, there is nothing particulary innovating about being on stage with a piano, singing funny songs and telling funny stories. And yeah, he does the 'I feel so awkward being on this stage' schtick.

Tim MinchinBut when you look past that stereotypical comedian facade, there's no denying this guy happens to be really, really funny. And quite clever, too, with more than a few genuinely interesting things to say. To think I hadn't even heard of him until I stumbled upon his fabulous beat poem 'Storm' a few weeks ago, which I posted about here.

It is in this beat poem that you'll find his true strength (besides having a considerable atheistic streak which I can strongly relate to): the multi-talented Perth-bred comedian is truly a master wordsman; to say he has a panache for language would be doing him a disservice. The things he does with language, through rhyme and rhythm, whether lyrical or verbal are so dazzling that every topic he grapples with, however unoriginal they may be an sich (religion, relationships, et al), he manages to approach in new, fresh way.

Plus, the fucker plays piano with his right foot - what's not to like?!

Here's to hoping he'll one day come visit my neck of the woods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home